Working Scope During Study & Arter Study in New Zealand

Working while studying can be a good way to gain New Zealand work experience and help support you while you’re studying abroad.

Gaining experience in a New Zealand workplace also helps you develop skills such as communication, teamwork, timekeeping, interpersonal skills, and workplace-relevant English language skills.

Balance your work hours with your study obligations, so your academic performance isn’t compromised, and remember that some scholarships set limits on the number of hours you 
can work.

Working right during study

If you have a Student Visa you may be able to work:

 Up to 20 hours a week during term time

 Full-time during scheduled holidays

Post-study work right (Masters and Ph.D.)

If you are a Masters by research or Ph.D. student, you may work:

 Full-time during term time.

 Full-time during scheduled holidays

Once you have finished your studies

If you wish to stay in New Zealand and work after you have finished your studies, As an international student you may be eligible for a one year post study work visa (open) upon graduation.

International students who have achieved a New Zealand qualification may be allowed to gain experience in work related to their studies.

Depending on what you study, you may be able to work in New Zealand for up to four years, and possibly even gain residence.

First, you need to apply for a visa and have it approved. The study to work pathway has two steps:

 Post-study work visa (open). This visa gives you up to 12 months to get a job in a field related to your studies. While you are looking for a job in your field you are allowed to work in any job to support yourself.

 Post-study work visa (employer-assisted). This visa lets you stay in New Zealand to gain work experience for a further two years (or three years of work experience is required as part of a professional registration). This visa relates to a specific job with a specific employer.

After your post-study work visa (employer-assisted) you may qualify for a New Zealand resident visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. If your work is in an occupation that has skill shortages, this improves your chances of being allowed to stay, either with work visas or residence.


Get your all study related matters in New Zealand !
Open chat
Hello 👋
Can we help you?