Help your Spouse Work in Canada

Determine your Eligibility

Your spouse may apply for a work permit if:

you are a full-time student at:

 a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professional (CEGEP) in Quebec

 a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify) or

 a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees

 you have a valid study permit


Work permits for your spouse or common-law partner are valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

Note: Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for an open work permit, which means they do not need a job offer or a Labour Market Impact Assessment from Service Canada.
Get your all study related matters in CANADA!