Bringing your Spouse and Dependents

Members of a student’s immediate family (spouse, unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age) may accompany them to study in Australia on a Dependents Visa. The spouse and children of a student can accompany them to Australia if the student’s course duration is 12 months or longer.

This dependent visa can be applied for at the same time as the student applies for their visa, or you can apply later to join the student in Australia after they have commenced their course.

The student must declare all family members in his/her application, even if they do not plan to travel with him/her to Australia. If he/she does not declare all family members in his/her application, they’ll not be eligible to apply for a dependent visa once the student has arrived in Australia.

At Axiom, we can help you apply for a dependent visa for your spouse and children. Please contact our online service to find out more information.

Students under 18 years

Usually, International students studying in Australia on a student visa will require a guardian if they’re under 18 years of age. These arrangements need to be in place before an application for a student visa can be lodged. One of the options for guardianship is for the student to be accompanied to Australia by a parent or a person who has custody of the student. This person must apply for a Student Guardian Visa. This visa allows the guardian to stay in Australia for the same length of time as the student or until the student turns 18.

Visitor visa

Parents or dependents wishing to visit a student while they’re studying in Australia should apply for a visitor visa. Information on the Australian visitor visa application process can be found at

Get your all study related matters in Australia!